Developed and Presented by
Tammie Byram Fowles, MSW, Ph.D.
Consultation and Training
Columbia, South Carolina
“The question you need to ask yourself is not if you will heal but how you will heal.” O Carl Simonton
This one day seminar will address the ‘quakes’ that occur not only in the lives of our clients but in our own as well and will explore how we might transform these challenges into opportunities that offer profound personal and spiritual growth.
After completing this workshop participants will be able to:
- Discuss how aspects of the professional training of counselors and other human services professionals can contribute to depression and burnout.
- Identify the cultural myths that inhibit emotional and spiritual development and general well-being.
- Describe common cognitive distortions that contribute to suffering and interfere with healing.
- Recognize the general stages of grief/crisis and healing.
- Demonstrate an understanding and appreciation of how quakes (painful experiences) can lead to personal and spiritual growth.
- Utilize appropriate tools to facilitate emotional and spiritual growth during the recovery process.
- Serving clients in crisis: Our assets, our limits, and our liabilities
- Necessary and Unnecessary losses
- Stages of Grief/Crisis and Recovery
- Nurturing Necessary Narratives to Instill Hope
- Mining for Meaning
- Deconstructing Cultural Myths
- Addressing Cognitive Distortions
- Exploring the Mind/Body/Spirit/Environment connection
- Utilizing Appropriate Healing Tools (It Takes a Village)
Who Should Attend:
This seminar is designed for all human service providers who offer counseling and support to those in physical and or emotional pain.
Tammie Byram Fowles, LISW, Ph.D. is the author of “BirthQuake: The Journey to Wholeness,” and is currently revising her work, “Finding the Forest: The Incorporation of Holistic Principles into a Brief Treatment Model with Survivors of Trauma.” Dr. Fowles offers training, clinical consultation and psychotherapy to human services providers, and facilitates personal growth retreats and workshops. She has appeared on both national radio and public television.