Tammie Fowles is a psychotherapist, author, spiritual life coach, and certified celebrant currently practicing in Lewiston, Maine. She has a Masters Degree in Social Work, a Ph.D. in Counseling Psychology, and is the author of “BirthQuake: The Journey to Wholeness.” You may want to watch “BirthQuakes: Stories of Transformative Life Events,” a public television program based on her book.
Tammie provides psychotherapy, spiritual life coaching, life celebrations, and workshops to both individuals and groups, and continuing education seminars and retreats to social workers and other mental health professionals. She has appeared on both national radio and public television.
During her more than two decades as a therapist she has come to view therapy as a powerful process of self discovery and healing where numerous lessons can be learned, strengths developed, and deepest truths honored. Having witnessed again and again the innate pull toward change and growth that exists within each of us, she views herself as an optimist who honors her clients’ stories, offers deep respect and genuine caring in a pleasant, safe and nurturing environment, promoting creativity, resilience, self expression, and personal growth. Her approach is strength based and she works collaboratively with clients, synthesizing various treatment techniques in order to best meet each person’s unique and specific goals and needs. Tammie is committed to meeting her clients warmly where they are and offering active, empathic, and pragmatic support and guidance.
In addition to providing face to face psychotherapy sessions, she provides telephone and video sessions when appropriate. If you choose to work with Tammie via video , we suggest that you designate a private and comfortable space free from distractions. We also recommended that you consider a headset for increased privacy.
The fee for a 50 minute therapy or coaching session is typically $120.00
Consultations via telephone or video must be pre-paid.
Following is a message from Tammie:
Dear friends and visitors,
First of all, I want to thank each and every one of you who have sent emails. So many of them have made me think deeply and touched my heart and for almost twenty years I have attempted to respond to each and every one of them. However, I now must regrettably admit that I can no longer keep up with all of them. Please trust that I will continue to read each and every message that you send and I will attempt to address as many issues that you’ve presented as I can via my blog.
Also, if you are considering working with me on an individual basis, I need to let you know that I’ve made some significant changes in my life recently. The biggest change is that I’ve reduced my fee for services work drastically in order to do more volunteer and donation based work. Because of my limited availability, I will be carefully screening potential clients. If you are considering contacting me to work with you in the capacity of therapist or life coach, you should know the following:
1. I am only licensed in the state of Maine to provide psychotherapy. I am not able to offer psychotherapy services to individuals in any other state.
2. I offer life coaching services to individuals in all states. Please note that there is a significant difference between psychotherapy and life coaching.
You may want to read the following in order to learn more about these differences:
- The Difference between psychotherapy and life coaching – http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/The_Differences_between_Clinical_Therapy_and_Life_Coaching.html
- Counseling Vs Life Coaching – http://ct.counseling.org/2008/12/counseling-vs-life-coaching-2/
- When is Life Coaching Not a Good Choice – http://www.sueburke.org/Life-Coaching-vs–Therapy.html
3. I am frequently making trips, particularly between Maine and Florida, and so there will be periods when I will only be available for telephone and video sessions rather than face to face sessions.
4. I ask that each and every client with whom I work:
- Have a support system in place
- Be willing to complete homework assignments between sessions
- Agree to keep a journal
- Be willing and able to establish goals and commit to working towards achieving them
- Understand that I am not always available to meet face to face and so consequently am not an appropriate choice for everyone.
If you are willing and able to work with the conditions above and are interested in exploring further the possibility of working with me on an individual basis, please feel free to contact my office at 207-620-0792 and I’ll get back to you as soon as I can.
You may also find the following of particular interest:
To read an interview about my book, Birthquake, at Book Talk,” visit: Interviews
To read excerpts of my first book, visit: Birthquake
To read more about workshops and retreats for social workers and other mental health professionals I offer, visit: Workshops and retreats
Visit Life long Learning to read more about online workshops as well as groups and retreats offered to the general public
To read a sample of articles about psychotherapy that I’ve written, visit: Psychotherapy Notes
Visit my Facebook page: SagePlace: For Women Growing Older, Growing Wiser
You can read my current blog at:
Blog on Psychotherapy, Spirituality and Living the ‘good life’
You can read my previous blog at: SagePlace: The Center for Well Beings
Follow me on Twitter @mainetherapist
Contact me at 207-620-0792 or at firstname.lastname@example.org